Home General Have Schizophrenia and Want To Have a Baby

Have Schizophrenia and Want To Have a Baby

by Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW

I have been searching web sites and calling numbers for the past two months for information on what I about to ask. It has been a concern for me since I got back together with my boyfriend. I have also asked my doctor, but she does not have enough info to give me or time to research it!!

I want to have a baby someday, but need to ask some questions regarding this issue.

I have schizophrenia disorder, the paranoid type. I wanted to know if you could possibly do some research for me to find out if the women who have babies with the illness, schizophrenia pass down any illness of any kind, actually what is the percentage that this happens!! Also, is Clozapine a safe medication to use when and before you get pregnant, safe for the baby that is? I am going to go on it if I qualify, as in the white blood count and so on. If you can call regarding this matter, that would be great!! Thank you very much doctor,

Those types of questions should be directed to your doctor. They are very specific to your situation. The answers to those questions should not be generalized and will be unique to your situation. Gaining correct answers would first require gathering a great deal of information about your mental health history, your medical status, your current psychological status, and much more. All of that information would be necessary to provide you with comprehensive and appropriate answers to your questions.

When you spoke with your doctor, perhaps she did not fully understand your questions. There may have been a misunderstanding or a miscommunication. I would encourage you to ask again.

Bring a list of specific questions with you to your next appointment. If she cannot or is unwilling to address your questions, then ask if there is a medical or mental health professional who can assist you. Perhaps your primary care physician could be of some assistance. Can your doctor refer you to someone who specializes in pregnancies?

I would also encourage you to conduct your own research. This may include reading books about the complications of having a serious mental illness and becoming a mother. Conducting your own research should not replace medical consultations but it may provide you with an increased understanding of the subject matter.

I am sorry that I could not be of more assistance. Your questions are very specific to you and your current health and your past history, and thus require the assistance of mental and medical professionals who are or can become familiar with your situation. I wish you the best luck. Please take care.

Dr. Kristina Randle

You may also like