Home Anger Management Something Is Wrong with My Friend

Something Is Wrong with My Friend

by Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW

My 17 year old friend has had mood swings her entire life. Some days she’s so fun to be around and other days she gets angry over the smallest things. She has major anger issues. If she’s angry, she’ll cry hysterically or break things. She acts like a toddler whenever she’s upset. Shes told me she has been feeling depressed lately. She also told me something strange. She said that recently, life doesn’t feel real anymore. That time is a blur and she feels like she’s living in a dream. I am genuinely concerned. I know that she isn’t on any medication and she does not currently seek any professional help. Should she? What is wrong with her? How could I help her?

It does seem like something may be wrong with your friend. You can’t treat her problems nor should you try. All mental health problems should be treated by professionals.

The best way to help her is to encourage her to seek treatment. Offer her your support for doing so. Avoid giving her advice about how to handle her mood swings. Advising is the job of mental health professionals.

If she’s unwilling to seek help, then consider limiting the time you spend with her. As you may already know, mood swings and anger can impede relationships. If she doesn’t want help, despite problems being evident, it would be wise to limit your interaction with her. Everyone has a right to protect their own mental health and well-being, including you. Good luck and please take care.

Dr. Kristina Randle

You may also like