Home Abuse What Is the Best Therapy for Trauma Issues?

What Is the Best Therapy for Trauma Issues?

by Dr. Marie Hartwell-Walker

From an adult woman in the U.S.: I have weight and depression issues related to several traumatic events in my life (accidental death of father many years ago, recent violent death of mother, emotional abuse in former marriage). I also have a stressful job that I don’t love. I’ve been further traumatized by the current political situation in our country, I am very political.

I do not want any kind of religious therapy, I don’t believe in any of that. I am trying to determine what type of therapy might be the most effective for me. I need to address stress and depression related eating. I also need to address anxiety and depression related to stress and trauma. Any suggestions on what type of therapy and/or therapist would be really appreciated.

You have been through a lot of very painful experiences. I’m glad you are seeking help. You deserve it.

Religious therapy is not the only option. There are many schools of therapy that can be helpful. You do need to talk to someone who has experience in both trauma and eating disorders. It is not an unusual combination so I’m confident that there is excellent help available for you. I suggest you talk with your doctor for a referral. You can also click on the “Find Help” tab on our homepage. You can search a directory of therapists who work in your area.

I do suggest that you interview a few therapists to find the person who is the right “fit” for you. Research has repeatedly shown that the most important variable for success in therapy is whether the therapist and client click. So if the first therapist you see doesn’t seem to understand you, do give yourself the gift of looking further. It is worth the time in the beginning to look for someone you feel can offer you the support and practical help you need and deserve.

I wish you well.
Dr. Marie

You may also like